The most common problems we've seen with Peak Design Vent Mounts stem from issues that can be fixed with proper installation.
Instructions are included in the Vent Mount packaging. Think of them IKEA instructions: they may be boring and tedious, but if you go off-script, you're liable to find yourself embroiled in a fit of frustration, with your sweaty fists angrily clutching your instruction booklet, screaming obscenities towards the heavens, and later apologizing to your family/neighbors for what they all just awkwardly witnessed.
Alright, maybe it's not that bad, but the point still stands: follow the instructions.
If you lost 'em or need more guidance, this article is for you.
VENT MOUNT - SETUP & USE
First things first.
WILL THIS PRODUCT WORK IN MY CAR?
For the Vent Mount to perform optimally, your vehicle must be equipped with the correct style of vents. Compatible vents have the following characteristics.
- Straight blades that are 7-23mm (1/4-7/8”) deep.
- Secure, not easily-removable blades.
- Minimum 8mm (5/16”) gap between blades.
- Minimum 63mm (2 1/2")
- Vent body height for vents with horizontal blades
- Minimum 63mm (2 1/2")
- Vent body width for vents with vertical blades.
The Vent Mount is offered in two styles, Charging and Non-Charging options.
Let's first get familiar with the product and language we use to describe these features. Trust us, knowing what we call things will make the next steps that much easier!
Note - If you purchased a Non-Charging Vent Mount, your package will NOT include the Cable Clips, Charging Port, or USB-C to USB-C Charging Cable (1m).
Ok, so you've got the right vents, you know what model you got, and you know the difference between a Blade Hook and a Swivel Arm...you my friend, are ready to go. Let's do this thing.
PICTURE INSTRUCTIONS (AS FOUND IN OUR PACKAGING)
Before we get too far ahead of ourselves, it's worth noting that, generally, HVAC vents are not designed with accessory mounting in mind. Because of this, we encourage you to exercise caution during installation so as not to harm your vent or mount.
1. First, loosen the Swivel Knob a half turn and rotate Swivel Arm so that it is aligned with the Mount Body.
Note that this may require some initial force in order to move the Swivel Arm.
2. Next, fully extend the Blade Hook by turning the Hook Knob. The Hook Knob is located behind the Swivel Knob. Be careful not to overextend, as doing so may allow for the hook to remove from the mount fully, and that's just not how this thing works!
WARNING: Do not over-extend the Blade Hook; this can damage the mount! Stop at the warning!
3. Next, before attempting to mount your accessory, adjust your car’s vent to a fully open position.
4. When you are ready to install your mount, align the Blade Hook just above the vent blade to which you plan to attach. Align the Blade Clip 1-2 blades down from the Hook. The ideal position is car/vent dependent and will change by vehicle.
5. Simultaneously insert both Blade Hook and Blade Clip fully into the vent. When pushing the Blade Clip onto the vent, some resistance is natural.
Steps 4 and 5 are shown in the image above.
6. When you've found the ideal location on your vent, drop the Hook over the vent blade and secure it by rotating the Hook Knob. You should feel the Hook catch and some resistance as you rotate the Hook Knob into place.
WARNING: Do not overtighten the Hook Knob; this can damage the vent!
7. Finally, loosen the Swivel Knob, adjust the Swivel Arm to desired position then secure it by retightening the Swivel Knob. If you have the Non-Charging Vent Mount, you are now finished, and you're ready to use your new Vent Mount! Nice work!
If you have the Charging Vent Mount, continue with the next step.
8. Once your mount is secured onto the vent, clean your vehicle surfaces with provided wipe for routing the Cable to the Charging Port. Remove adhesive backing from Cable Clips and press down ﬁrmly to attach. Once attached, push the charging cord into the Cable Clips and attach it to your power source. You are now ready to use your Charging Vent Mount!
Nice work installing your Peak Design Vent Mount! Just a few last things we wanted to mention.
The Peak Design Wireless Charging Car Vent Mount magnetically connects to the back of your phone. and requires Peak Design Everyday Case or a MagSafe Phone/Case. Once connected, you will see confirmation that the phone is charging via the phone screen.
- A phone mounted on the vent may overheat when the heat is turned on. Please be aware and check your phone/mount when using your heater for the first time with the mount.
- The Vent Mount may prevent the vent from articulating fully.
- If not attached correctly, the product and/or phone may dislodge or be thrown into the air in the event of a crash. Consult your car’s manual to ensure the mount does not cover or interfere with the operation of the airbag.